However, a mixture of vinegar and water forms a natural means of cleaning kitchen tile floors, bathroom floors, and any tiled surface which also requires disinfection.
Dirty tile floors can be very difficult to clean by merely mopping the surface. Therefore, learning how to clean tile floors with vinegar is of great importance.
Cleaning tile floors with baking soda and vinegar is very effective and it is a proven method which is already in use. Keep reading to learn natural cleaning hacks to keep your tiles clean.
Cleaning Tile Floors with White Vinegar
This method of freeing your dirty tiles from stains is really easy and it involves the use of locally available materials.
Things you will need:
- White vinegar
- 5-gallon bucket
- Broom or vacuum
- Dawn Original dish soap
- Spray bottle
- Fill a bucket with water. Warm water is preferred to work the magic.
- Mix one cup of vinegar and 2-tablespoonful of dawn in the spray bottle then top up with water.
- Spray the mixture of dawn and vinegar on the floor and allow to rest for some minutes.
- Use the mop to gently wash the stained tile floor.
- For hard stains or remove spots left behind, use a soft bristle brush to rub the area the spots.
- When the entire floor is scrubbed, clean the mop and use clean water to rinse your now clean floor.
Vinegar is a simple home hack for cleaning dirt from the floor. However, caution should be taken since vinegar is acidic in nature. It will react with marble, slate or concrete.
Therefore, vinegar should never be used on such floors. An appropriate ratio of the mixture should also be adhered to.
Cleaning Tile Floors with Baking Soda
Just like vinegar, you can also use baking soda in cleaning very dirty tile floors naturally and it is also really easy. This method is straightforward. Follow the steps to obtain a clean floor.
Things You Will Need:
- Plastic spray bottle
- Microfiber cloth
- Peppermint and lemon essential oils (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups of warm water
- 1 tablespoonful of baking soda
- 1/4 cup of vinegar
- Mix 1 tablespoonful of baking soda and 11/2 cups of water. Stir the mixture thoroughly.
- Add ¼ cup of vinegar to the mixture in step one above. You can add an essential oil at this stage if you have it.
- Transfer the mixture from the bucket to the spray bottle then spray the microfiber cloth with this mixture.
- Use the sprayed micro cloth in mopping your dirty tile floor as usual. Mop in a back-and-forth motion for better results.
No rinsing or washing is needed when using this method to achieve a clean floor. Just follow all the steps as use the correct ratio as instructed and you will be amazed by the results.
Using a Vacuum Cleaner
Vacuum cleaners can also be used to naturally remove dirt and allergens from the floor. Normal cleaning like the use of vinegar and baking soda might leave some of the particles which when inhaled, can trigger some of the body responses which are undesirable.
Thanks to the advances in technology that has made it possible to have different types of vacuum cleaners for your stained tile floors. After acquiring one, just get to know how it operates and some simple maintenance skills.
- Start the tile vacuum by pressing the power button then move it back and forth. Make the movement very slow to give it enough time to collect all the dirt.
- Make necessary adjustments on the vacuum cleaner depending on the type of surface you want to clean. That is rug, curtains, carpet, corners, low furniture, or any other surface.
- Position yourself in such a way that the circulating air does not mess the areas you have already cleaned.
This is a method which is used to remove dirt and soils from the floor. It is normally effective on the soft stains while hard or sticky stains might require other techniques.
Things you will need:
- Dust Mop Outfit
- Double Bucket Mop system
- Medium industrial loop mop or similar
- Wet floor signs
- Neutral floor cleaner
- Putty knife or an equivalent tool
- Put the wringer onto the mop bucket.
- Place the wet floor signs strategically on the place to be cleaned.
- Remove all other foreign materials such as gum from the floor using a putty knife.
- Remove surface soil and dusts using dust mop outfit.
- Set all other equipment in position and start mopping. You can use vinegar for mopping tile floors. Begin from the furthest end and work towards the door. Always make sure that the double bucket is at the portion to be mopped to avoid tripping.
- Put the mop in your preferred cleaning agent which should be relatively deep and then wing out lightly. Begin mopping and after covering a considerable space, wing out the soiled mop. You should not mix the dirty water with your mopping solution.
Things you need:
- Rubbing alcohol
- Mops, get the best rag for the surface to be cleaned
- Prepare the surface by first washing it with water to remove dirt and grime. Allow the surface to dry.
- Place the selected rag over the bottle of rubbing alcohol. Turn over the bottle and allow alcohol to penetrate for some seconds.
- Use the damped cloth to clean the surface you intended be it the wooden shelves in the kitchen or the closets. Give it time to dry. No need to rinse.
Things to Avoid
Use of simple home remedies in cleaning tile floors, ceramic or wooden surfaces as described above require some precautions. If you are to apply the rubbing alcohol, you will first ensure that the room is well ventilated. Lao, the surfaces to be cleaned should not be affected by the alcohol.
Before applying this rubbing technique on your LCD or LED TV screens, first confirm with the manufacturer if it is safe. A word of caution that is that alcohol should never be used to wipe tablet or smartphone screens as sensitivity will be lost.
If you are cleaning ceramic surfaces or tile floors with baking soda and vinegar, then you should stick to just that. Vinegar is acidic and can react with some floors depending on the materials used. That can result in the degradation of the floor.
Most of the things used in the above techniques are not edible. Therefore, care should be taken especially while cleaning the kitchen not to contaminate food. Always put on an appropriate attire when handling them.
Tips & Tricks
Some stains can be tough and sticky to remove from old tile floors. In such cases, just sprinkle the wet surface then grout with baking soda. Rinse with a mop soaked in a vinegar solution after scrubbing with a wet cloth.
While cleaning very dirty floors, give the cleaner more dwell time so that the cleaning agent can act on the stains thereby whitening the dirty tiles. Just give it about twenty minutes if you want your floor to sparkle.